“Tom Murphy, a lobster man from Maine, who worked for years as an HR manager shares his wisdom with us. Heed well his lessons.” -Alden
1. Don’t Speak To The Future: You Can’t Control It.
2. Don’t Promise What You Can’t Deliver.
3. Don’t Fight With Those Who Are Equal To Or Subordinate To You In Position – Always Fight Up.
4. Do Not Put the Company Between An Employee And His/Her Family – If You Do, The Company Will Lose.
5. Take Care Of Those Who Take Care Of You.
6. The First Report/Information That You Receive On Any Topic Will Be Wrong.
7. Don’t mess with an employee’s spouse, pay or bereavement.
8. Retain A Judicious Mix of Consistency And Compassion In All Decision Making Affecting An Employee.
9. You Work For The People In The Plant – You Report To An Executive.